Digital Strategy of the Finnish Association of the Deaf and action to be taken,
At the end of the year 2001, the Board of the Finnish Association of the Deaf appointed a working group whose task is to prepare a proposal for the digital strategy of the association. The commission (on 30.11.2001) states that “in order for the association to be able to provide the proper view on how to benefit from digital technology, a working group is needed, which will make proposals for a digital strategy for the association”
In the commission, the following issues the working group will deal with:
- Content production/recordings, producers, distribution network, the whole service chain
- Technical equipment needed in production, equipment needed by users, bases, terminals (PC's, digital TV, mobile phones, palm computers)
- Digital cultural industry in sign language, discussion of content production, digital information work, translation (seminar for deaf people) and the possibility to combine culture, technology, and know-how – development, experiment, and exploitation
- Vocational training and user training
- Need for funding possibilities and co-operation partners.
The digital strategy of the Finnish Association of the Deaf includes the 7-point objectives mentioned in the commission:
- The Finnish Association of the Deaf has wide, barrier-free, high-level and content production in sign language.
- The general information networks are being used as a channel for information in sign language.
- The regional, national, and international channels of digital television serve sign-language users and deaf people.
- Sign-language users and/or deaf people have an overall immobile and mobile video communication network in use.
- Digital communication and transactions are part of the everyday life of sign-language users and/or deaf people. They have at their disposal digital study-, transaction- and other service possibilities, and they are satisfied, trained, and skilled users of information and communications technological equipment.
- A sign language portal is available to sign-language users and deaf people, through which the most important information sources and services of society and the partners of the Finnish Association of the Deaf co-operate.
- The community net in sign language covers the member organisations, local offices of the Finnish Association of the Deaf, and the whole sign-language community.
and 33 actions to be taken or overall activities to reach these objectives.